By Covenant Iniobong
1. Work in an industry that you will enjoy and flourish in (an industry you are passionate about, that interests you and in line with your strengths).
2. Break things down (If a problem feels too big break it down into smaller parts).
3. Put yourself forward and pitch for more challenging projects or positions (Sell yourself).
4. Building and marketing your personal brand via your CV, Cover Letter, LinkedIn Profile, and a personal blog (optional) or website (optional) will help advance your career.
5. Dress for success (balance dressing for the job you have and the one you want). This will help you advance your career faster.
6. Be inspirational and embrace positivity (people are drawn to positive people).
7. Take care of your mental well being (look after yourself physically, emotionally and spiritually).
8. Your attitude is important. Be kind, fair and reasonable, but do not let people take advantage of you.
9. Develop commercial orientation by reading more, doing specific research, networking and becoming a subject matter expert.
10. Know your role within the company and your team and contribute your quota to achieving organisational and team goals. Don’t be a dead wood in teams.
11. Learn how to smartly navigate around office politics (understand the company culture, your team, individuals and do not take sides).
12. Develop leadership skills (When you feel confident and knowledgeable in a team situation, take the lead, share your ideas).
13. Be conversant with diversity and equality issues and respect differences.
14. A Career Mentor or Personal Development Coach can help advance your career significantly.
15. Resilience is a necessary ingredient for career advancement and progression.
16. Track your success and note down your wins.
17. Develop a strong work ethic.
18. Practice problem solving and be the solution to problems.
19. It pays to be a person of integrity. Therefore, do the right things even if no one is watching.
20. Build your reputation and gain credibility by delivering on your promises.
21. Learning new skills will set you apart from the crowd.
22. Learn to work with other people (teamwork is important).
23. Developing people skills (customer service, emotional intelligence, etc.) will take you far.
24. Network and build relationships with people in your field.
25. Do not benchmark your progress.
26. Take the initiative to advance yourself. If you do not nobody will.
27. Do not over promise and under-deliver. Deliver on your brand promise and always manage expectations.
28. Develop presentation and report writing skills.
29. Stay out of office politics.
30. Pay attention to your manners. Say please and thank you, always.
31. If you do not know something, please ask. But try and figure things out yourself in the first instance. Do not bore people with questions.
32. Pay attention to detail. Every little thing counts.
33. Do not procrastinate or leave things too late.
34. Failure is not the end. Learn to fail forward, and when you fail do not lose sight of your goals.
35. Hard work pays, but work smart, not just hard.